5th February 2014
Bariatric recipes – vanilla egg custard
I first made these custards when I was about 1 week out of surgery and they are still on our weekly menu today. They are gently-set egg custards that I found could eaten in the FULL FLUIDS stage (what I call the Red Stage) of eating early post-op but also thereafter.
From time to time I add a little unsweetened cocoa powder or instant coffee to give a chocolate or coffee-flavoured variation and much later I added a fruit base of chopped sliced fruit.
Ingredients – (Metric/US)
- 4 large eggs
- 410g/14 oz can light evaporated milk
- 5 tbsp Splenda granulated sweetener
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150ml/2/3 cup skimmed milk
- ground nutmeg to sprinkle (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170 C/325 F/gas mark 3.
- Beat the eggs with the evaporated milk, Splenda, vanilla extract and milk. Sieve and pour into about 7 ramekin or heatproof custard cups.
- Put inside a heatproof baking dish and add hand-hot water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins or custard cups. Sprinkle the tops with a little grated nutmeg if liked.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until just set but still a bit wobbly.
- Remove from the baking dish and allow to cool. Refrigerate to chill before serving.
WLS portions: ½-1
Calories per portion: 135